Apply for Educational Grants
- What are the criteria used to determine funding?
- Does 3M support unrestricted grants?
- What are some examples of educational grant requests that 3M will not support?
- Does previous support of a program by 3M guarantees future support?
- How do I submit an educational grant request to 3M?
- What should I do before submitting a grant request?
- What is 3M's Grant Review Process?
- How do I check the status of my grant request or payment?
- How will transparency reporting laws and regulations impact funding of grants?
Please note that 3M considers many factors. The following are 3M minimum requirements for educational grants and fellowships request consideration. Grant requests that do not meet these minimum requirements will not be considered for funding by the 3M Grants Committee.
Minimum eligibility requirements for Educational Grants:
- Requesting organization must be an academic institution, hospital, accredited provider, professional society, medical association, or patient advocacy group.
- Requesting organization must independently control and be responsible for selection of program content, faculty, attending HCPs who are in training, educational methods and materials.
- Funding must support bona fide educational initiatives and involve a scientific exchange of information, including teaching labs, with a medical focus on HCP and/or patient education.
- For fellowship requests, requesting organization must have a bona fide fellowship committee or similar selection organization or process. Funding must commensurate with the activities to be performed by the fellow.
No. 3M will not support unrestricted grants.
3M Educational Grants are considered to be restricted grants, The purpose for the restricted grant must be designated in the grant application and program detail and that designated purpose is the only one for which the grant funds may be used.
Some examples of grant requests that 3M will not support include:
- Requests directly or indirectly conditioned on the requesting organization's agreement to purchase, lease, recommend, use or arrange for the purchase or lease of, or prescription of, 3M products.
- Requests where there is evidence of unduly influencing the decision of whether a particular institution will receive a grant or the amount of such grant by a member of 3M.
- Requests from individual HCPs, physician practices or patients; or in the name of an individual HCP or to an organization of an HCPs choice.
- Requests to reimburse registration, seminar fees, or travel expenses of an HCPs attendance at a third-party educational conference.
- Requests from organizations listed on the Office of Inspector General's List of Excluded Individual/Entities (OIG LEIE) or the General Services Administration Excluded Parties List System (GSA EPLS).
3M will also not provide educational grant funding for:
- Requests involving funding for golf tournaments, outings, gala dinners, capital campaigns (i.e. building funds/endowment), multi-year commitments, religious organizations that do not serve the general public on a nondenominational basis; or of a political nature or from fraternal and athletic groups.
- Requests for normal organizational overhead (i.e. purchase of computer equipment, staff training).
No. The grant funding process is very competitive. Each grant is evaluated on its individual merit relative to other grant requests. Please do not consider any request approved until you have received written documentation from 3M approving your grant request.
3M will only accept educational grants requests that are received via the online request form. Requests for programs or events that have already occurred or that are not submitted at least forty-five (45) days prior to when the desired funding is needed cannot be accepted.
Before submitting an educational grant request, you should become familiar with 3M Grant Guidelines and consider how your program fits within these guidelines.
- Prepare your grant request in writing.
- Your grant request must include:
For educational grants:
- Organization's name and mailing address
- Contact name representing the organization, including their title, e-mail address and phone number
- Date and location of the meeting
- Amount of support requested
- Description of the event
- Non-profit status / Tax ID number
- Attendees and approximate number
- You are also required to submit any other supporting documentation that may help facilitate the review of your grant request, such as a program or event agenda and a detailed line item budget with your online request.
Grant requests submitted with the required documentation will be reviewed by 3M's Grants Committee as quickly as possible and within thirty (30) days from the date the complete required information was received. If a review was not completed the requestor will receive a notification within this time frame. 3M's Grants Committee has the sole authority to approve grant requests.
All organizations will receive a decision notification in writing, within seven (7) business days of final committee review. Please do not consider any request approved until you have received written documentation from 3M's Grants Committee approving your grant request.
You may check the status of your grant request or payment by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
PLEASE REFRAIN FROM CONTACTING AN 3M COMMERCIAL REPRESENTATIVE AS THEY ARE NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE INVOLVED IN THIS PROCESS.
3M complies with health care provider (HCP) transparency reporting requirements globally. Transfers of value include grants. 3M will track and report all grant funding as required by local laws.
Please send any additional questions to firstname.lastname@example.org